banana stem(vazhai thandu) - 1 medium sized length
green chillies - 2,3
grated coconut - 1 tbsp
turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
oil - 1 tsp
mustard -1 tsp
channa dhal -1 tsp
curry leaves -1 stalk
(Optional: My mom add powdered sombu-anise in english along with grated coconut.It gives nice flavor to the dish)
- Make round slices of the banana stem, remove the fibers and cut it into thin and long stripes.
- In a kadai add 1 tspn oil then add mustard seeds and when it pops up add the splitted green chillies and channa dhal and fry till it turns light brown.
- Add curry leaves and fry for a while. Add the banana stem pieces along with salt and turmeric powder.
- Sprinkle a handful of water and cover with a lid. Cook for few minutes. stir well often.
- Cook till the banana stems are soft and all the water is absorbed. Add grated coconut and mix well.